Monday, December 10, 2018

Thoughts on a smocking gun

On the one hand, it's just a typo and (as anyone who reads this knows) I do them all the time. So I can't really blame Trump just for making a mistake on the internet.

On the other hand, his typos are really dumb, and he commits typos at a really high rate, and he's the president of the friggin' United States of America. Plus, this Twitter account where he typos so much is also where he makes official pronouncements. He has first announced major decisions, including hiring and firing of high officials in his administration via Twitter. The sheer number of stupid typos from his official means of communication shows a degree of carelessness that goes far beyond what I, or any other minimally competent person, would do.

On the third hand, this Administration has done a lot of worse things than dumb spelling errors on Twitter. Why pay so much attention to mistypes instead of, say, baby jails.

On the fourth hand, we can do both! See? I just mentioned baby jails in this post about presidential Twitter typos. Also, the typos can be fun and make the president look like the big dumb-dumb that he is, which is also fun!

On the fifth hand, after a while this just starts feeling like a huge embarrassment. I am embarrassed for my country every time Trump tweets out something stupid, and I'm embarrassed for my country when we all lavish attention on such idiocy.

I think that's where I am at this moment. Maybe I will come up with a sixth hand later.